I began making soap in my early 20s but it had been a curious crafty obsession since I was a child. I collected bar soaps from hotels, decorative soaps, large bars, intricate mini soaps and sample sized shampoos. Soap was the best gift I could ever receive! Finally in a bachelor suite in West Broadway, I started planning Shiver Soaps. I took books out from the library. I learned how to calculate recipes manually (now I just plug everything into an online soap calculator) and one paycheck at a time bought a couple start up supplies. At that time FoodFare sold little bottles of lye for $6 which was perfect for a beginner! They soon discontinued their lye so I had to find another supplier which currently only sells lye in minimum $100 quantities. I have enough lye stored in my bedroom to get rid of numerous bodies!
I have changed my soap logo, branding and style a million times but always remained Shiver Soaps. Its been so fun!
Want some soap?
What I have in stock changes. I make small batches with ingredients I have in my kitchen. Each recipe is custom made and unique. Current bars and batches:
- Kombucha and Hemp with Patchouli oil
- Castile ( 100% olive oil ) – no essential oils – ideal as a face soap, for babies or for sensitive skin
- Cocoa butter Loofah with Frankincense – comes with a huge chunk of loofah
On the curing shelf and ready by end of October 2019:
- Red Wine with kaolin clay and a light smattering of essential oils
- Shampoo soap made with beer! Includes castor, coconut, canola and hemp oils + cocoa butter & a blend of essential oils
❤️ Getting hitched? Custom wedding soap is a joy to make. Complete with wedding cards and gift bags. This order included soap specially made for the couple who love to camp. I was able to incorporate cedar, charcoal and bacon drippings into one batch. The soap shown below was made with the brides’ favourite scents: lavender and patchouli.
Shiver Self Care…. playful alchemy
- Kaolin Body & Face Clay – a multi use clay that is also a great alternative to baby powder!
- Foaming Hand wash – made with almond oil and patchouli
- NEW! Beard Oil – made with a really posh blend of oils and it smells heavenly!
Drop me a soap note at email@example.com